Saturday 25 February 2012

Changi Millionaire

Changi Airport has always been my favorite airport. Not only because I'm based in Singapore, but really, it is simply the best in terms of facilities and services.


So I was at the Tampines train station a few weeks ago when I saw a couple of sales people giving out an orange paper bag to commuters. Not knowing what it was, I was handed one and I curiously accepted. Upon opening the bag, I found a flyer promoting the Changi Millionaire contest. At that point, I had no idea what it was. The flyer was inviting people to vote for the contestants vying to win a million Singapore dollars. It also stated that the winners will be announced at the Changi T3 airport and a special "gift" awaited the first 300 attendees.


Since I am a marketing executive, I am always curious to see marketing events and gimmicks. I trekked to the airport that Sunday to find out what it was all about.


The queue still wasn't long when I got there but it quickly grew to a couple of meters. Once we reached the registration desk, we were given an egg-like plastic toy which had the voting coupon inside. The voter is supposed to write down their info as well as their contestant of choice.



We then had to drop the egg with our ballot in the corresponding box. While we were doing this, waiters were walking around offering drinks - a cute pink concoction (which I thought was Sprite with some coloring).


The program began with a dance number from a couple of students. The hosts then welcomed the guests and invited the contestants on stage.


There were seven contestants vying for the grand price. They were to best each other in three challenges. I would not detail the challenges anymore in this post. But they were really fun and managed to capture the attention of the audiences.


The hosts were pretty engaging too. I don't think I caught their names. I just moved to Singapore so I'm still trying to get to know local celebrities. The guy was hilarious. They were both great.



The second challenge where contestants have to guess the number corresponding to the
Visa or  Changi logos behind it.


Oodles of cashhhhhh!!!

\


Finally the winner is announced. Jessica Down from Perth Australia. So lucky and seems like a sweet girl too. She said she will be throwing a big party for family and friends and probably buying a new apartment. Sweeeetttt!

One girl who voted for her also won S$1,000. Unfortunately, I voted for someone else. Dang!


After the event, we were given our special gift (I was one of the first 300 people who lined up). It was a cute Angry Birds stuff toy. 

Buffet was then served to the guests. It was really yummy too not some cheap ass caterer. Nothing but the best from Changi, of course! 

The event was so much fun. Kudos to the event organizers. I will surely join the next round. Better start shopping. The contest starts in May. 

No comments:

Post a Comment